Sunday, April 15, 2012

A couple of busy days, a weekend and a craft project finally finished

So I mentioned making a slip cover for my Mombo pillow the other day... her it is!

This is the "before" picture (sleeping baby included!)

And here is the "after" or the finished project

We just so happened to have a green zipper to add on to match the material.

And since the before had the baby... so does the after!


The creation of this cover was rather interesting. However, this material only cost about $1.50 per yard so there was no real money lost if we messed up. Turns out, messing up was just in the cards. it just happened that way.

First, we made a "pattern" for the top and bottom parts and that seemed to turn out well. The part that we had the "issue" with was the side piece. we had 22" for the zipper section so that there was seaming room to go with our 20" zipper. Measuring all the way around was 82" and we already had the 22" section. So, we needed only 60 more inches right? Wrong. we then cut a 42" piece (the width of the material we used) and now had 64", leaving 18" to go. So, we cut that part! And, the sewing begins! the side piece attached nicely to the first side until almost finished where we needed another 6" cut! There is a slight overlap at the end of the zipper, but turns out that this just made it easier to "stuff" the big pillow inside! I am happy with the finished project and hope to make at least 2 or 3 more. One of which I am super excited for! I found a material that I used on another project, that I can not show here yet. (I will once my sister has her baby shower) I also have a Monkey print I plan to use and a "baby farm animal" print that actually comes in several different varieties that I plan to get the other "types" of to create a set for my sister and her baby and also a few things for my kiddos because I love it THAT much!

That was our Saturday night project. You'll notice I saw "our" and "we" a lot. That would be because I do most of my craft work and cooking with my Mother. I have been attempting to take pictures of everything as I go along and I apologize, but everyone will have to wait until after my sisters shower (July 7th, if you were curious) to see them all. I am crocheting, knitting, quilting, sewing and just flat out coming up with ideas for things to give to my sister and her baby (it is her first and I have 4 that she has just spoiled with the Auntie love! It is time to spoil back! LOL). If you have ever received anything handmade from family and can help with ideas, leave a comment so we can discuss it please! I am not only making "baby" things. I feel that all Mommies deserve a little something for just them as well. If she chooses to use it with baby, so be it.

Our weekend started off slightly calm with a trip to the urologist for my husband that was only supposed to take around 20 minutes and it turned into 2-ish hours. I am not sure why! So, now my husband and I both can no longer have children. Which is in some ways a bummer since we had all boys and a daughter would have been nice. That is where I hope my sister has a girl. Then I can "spoil" her baby with all the happy pinks and purples, ruffles and flair! I am also still giving her all my "boy" stuff because, hey, girls can like trains and planes too ya know! Plus, if it is a girl, my sister will for sure get tired of all of the pink fluffy frilly girly stuff that she will want to hurl! When I have seen some of my friends daughters closets I have wondered why they hadn't gone out and bought a pair of overalls. Those, always handy in a clothing "pinch". Don't know what to put on baby? A onesie and overalls works wonders on any gender! I also have enough baby clothes from all 4 of my boys to smother a large mammoth! I could bet that I have at least another 2-3 boxes of sizes Newborn, 0-3 and 3-6 month baby clothes out in storage that one or two of my boys has never worn! Which, in some cases, is fine by me because of the amount that I have. Some things I feel the urge to cry if I have it miss my last baby. His dresser drawers are overflowing though, so he doesn't need anymore anyways! LOL




Do you see the brownish colored square? That would be a chunk of cardboard on the inside of a diaper that almost went on my child!

I called the company that made this diaper and am currently awaiting 2 coupons for compensation. (1 $5 coupon and 1 $10 coupon) At the same time they plan on sending my a self addressed, stamped envelope to return the diaper to them. Just to save myself the extra trouble I will be waiting for my coupons to arrive before I send them anything! Along with taking "proof" pictures so that they can't try to say it never happened. The even more interesting part is that their "16 digit assembly/batch code" was missing on the diaper. Only 3 of the 16 numbers are there. Needless to say, I was rather irritated when they didn't offer a little bit more for the "issue" but, I am not one to pry or cause a larger issue.

I am just glad that we aren't doing "double diapers" again! When my second son was born, my first was still in diapers. Then, my third was born and the second was in diapers but the first was potty trained. This time, the third was potty trained shortly after finding out I was pregnant with number four. Now we have to go the normal almost 2 years until we can potty train this one and be done with the whole diaper thing!


The above video is of my youngest doing "the babble thing" and when you get about 13 seconds in he realizes that we are watching him. Thus the laughter! I hope you enjoy!

That is all for today. I will be back to post our Low-carb dinner tonight or tomorrow. I can not wait! Yum! 

~TTFN

1 comment:

  1. The video is not working correctly for some reason. Sorry folks! :-(

    ReplyDelete